Ten Healthy, Missional Markers
A key aspect of the Vitality Pathway is that all churches should strive to be both Healthy and Missional. To measure how a church is doing in this regard, their are ten markers by which we can judge our healthy, missional attitude. The ten markers are:
Compelling Christian Community - Acts 2:42-47
- We understand that our love for one another is a powerful testimony to the deity of Jesus.
- We love each other as we are, not as we should be.
- We share life together beyond the worship service.
Heartfelt Worship - Psalm 138:1 & John 4:23
- We exalt and celebrate God for who he is, what he has done, what he is doing, and what he will do.
- Worship reflects careful preparation to help give voice to many dimensions of response to God such as adoration, praise, lament, and commitment.
- People leave worship knowing something more about the heart of God and about their own hearts.
Sacrificial & Generous Living & Giving - Romans 12:1-8
- We help people discover, develop and deploy their spiritual gifts.
- We regularly, graciously, and unapologetically teach on the importance of financial stewardship in the spiritual growth of the Christian.
- We have many examples of lifestyle choices being made on the basis of stewardship and the priority God plays in the lives of our members.
Culture of Godly Leadership - Hebrews 13:7
- Our leaders at all levels serve with character, competence, and conviction.
- A spirit of collegiality pervades, with our people trusting our leaders and our leaders trusting our people.
- We continually identify and train godly leaders for all dimension of our ministry.
Fruitful Organizational Structures - Exodus 18:13-26 & Acts 6:1-7
- We can articulate a compelling, Christ-honoring vision for our church.
- We embrace evaluation as normal and natural and work through conflict constructively.
- Our organizational structures are designed to be efficient at making decisions while at the same time building congregational ownership for those decisions.
Centrality of the Word of God - 2 Timothy 3:16
- We believe that the Bible is the only perfect rule for faith, doctrine, and conduct.
- Our preaching and teaching in all settings reflects careful preparation, relevance, and creativity.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to study and apply Biblical truth in ways that lead to a scripturally integrated life.
Life Transforming Walk with Jesus - John 3:3, 30 & Philippians 1:6
- We teach our people how to be attentive to Christ in all circumstances.
- Our people understand the radical nature of the message and mission of Jesus that continually deconstructs and reconstructs a person's life.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to use a variety of resources, experiences, and settings.
Intentional Evangelism - Matthew 28:18-20
- We are burdened for the spiritual condition of those who do not yet know Christ.
- We have identifiable pathways for our evangelism to take place in our ministries.
- Our people are growing in the ability to build spiritual friendships and equipped to share their faith as God-birthed opportunities arise.
Transforming Communities through Compassion, Mercy & Justice - Micah 6:8
- We are burdened for the hurting people in our community and beyond.
- We have identifiable pathways for compassion, mercy and justice ministries to take place.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to see and address the hurts and the causes of hurt in our community and beyond.
Global Perspective & Engagement - Acts 1:8
- We raise the sights of our members beyond our congregation and community by developing a Biblical worldview and often pray for and reference global matters.
- We have identifiable pathways to support the cause of Christ globally.
- Our people are equipped and growing in their ability to participate in the global dimensions of our ministry. (Acts 1:8)